The BLF project is to provide opportunities for individuals from diverse communities in Nottingham to receive Journalism and film/video training, visits to key media institutions in Nottingham’s ‘Creative Quarter’, media portfolio creation and media career networking. Watch this space for the next community media event by Nottingham News Centre CIC.
The project offered experiential and practical learning opportunities including:
1. Six workshop sessions for the public (December 2014 – January 2015) in Nottingham. (Dates: December 2014: 2nd, 12th, 15th & January 2015: 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th (29th January, finalizing portfolio session)
2. Presentations to explore representation in print and video media.
3. Literacy development and writing practice, finding good examples of autobiographical writing and video presentations.
4. The creation of a professional portfolio and show reel for workshop participants.
5. A visit to Nottingham’s ‘Creative Quarter’ at the Antenna Media Centre with a presentation by senior leaders from Nottingham’s print and broadcast media industry (5th February 2015, pm).
6. A trip to key organisations and institutions in Nottingham’s media industry such as: Confetti Film & Video Institute, Notts TV, Centre for Journalism at Nottingham Trent University, Antenna Media Centre, BBC Nottingham, Kemet Radio, Nottingham, What’s Hot Radio Nottingham (12th February 2015).
7. Mentoring for participants during and after the completion of the project to encourage participants to remain in the city’s growing mediaindustry. Certificates of Attendance.